Handling heavy items is one of the daunting tasks when moving. There are some risks when packing heavy items so you need to think of some steps that can ease the difficulties. This article will show you 10 simple steps.
The wisest way for you to do when planning to move is to contact a mover for a quote. This saves your time and effort. Asking for an assistance from professional movers will make your moving preparation easier and the risks are much smaller than if packing is done by people without much experience in moving. On the other hand, if you still choose to pack heavy items yourself, below are 10 simple steps.
- Make sure to have an appropriate packing material. Take note that heavy items are not always unbreakable. Using the appropriate packing materials is very crucial so that packing items that are fragile needs a different way of packing which will keep them safe.
- You need to wrap all the items very well. Bubble wrap or any other packing material can be use as long as it helps to make the items safe on board. You can put a thicker layer of packing materials if needed especially if it’s a heavy item. Make sure not to use thin moving tape or masking tape. It cannot hold some heavy items.
- You can put heavy items in a sound cardboard box because this can hold their weight.
- Use a strong extra padding between two heavy boxes.
- To fill in the empty space if there’s any, you can use bubble wrap, packing peanuts or pieces of cardboard. Do not use crumpled newsprint or crumpled packing paper because it will compress thus, cannot provide protection to your items inside the box.
- Always mark boxes with fragile items inside and write down “this side up” because this help gets the moving process easier.
- Calculate the possible maximum of weight that your box can handle. It is not advisable to have boxes that are too heavy because it might have some health risk.
- Make sure to distribute the weight between boxes. Heavy items should be placed at the center of the box and put some cushioning material around the box for protection.
- Get a moving company to have an assistance if you will be packing items with a weight that is more than 80 lbs. Pallets may be used in this scenario.
- Don’t forget to have your moving insurance.